Friday, May 30, 2008

Countdown to Breeding

Just about a year ago, I began my search for the "perfect" mate for Marley. I have always been fascinated with looking at pedigrees - it must be my equal fascination with doing family genealogy - and I've spent countless hours pouring over them, looking for one I thought would be the best one for Marz. I talked to two different breeders before deciding to look further. The first one I liked because he would bring health and great conformation - but, he has been gone for a long time. The second one I liked because I thought he would bring great ability in the field plus I liked his head. But with Marley being a small female, I needed to think about size.

So, back to the drawing board which led me to the DVDs from Nationals 2005 and 2006. I watched each one and marked down who I liked, looked up their pedigrees, OFAs, websites and then waited until October 2007 and Nationals in Omaha. In the meantime, I sought the opinions of many associated with dogs in Marley's pedigree. I knew I really wanted to meet Kirby and his owner so I sent a note asking if they were going to Nationals and if we could meet then. Marty was more than happy to do so.

Karen, Marley's breeder, came with me to meet Kannon (the dad),
Brick (the brother) and Kirby. She was able to put her hands on all of them and move Kannon a little in the parking lot. Paul and Linda Collins were very helpful and a delight to meet - they were more than happy to talk with us. We were also able to meet some pups out of two Cassidy daughters (Marley is a Cassidy granddaughter) and we really liked what we saw. Karen liked different things about both Brick and Kirby but in my heart, it was always Kirby. I think he will bring conformation style and bird busting ability plus compliment Marley's structure and biddability most. She has a good nose in the field and loves to find birds but I hope to get a certain "smartness" in the field with the pups. Kirby is a love just like Marley so I expect their pups to have wonderful temperaments.

These are pictures of Kannon, Brick, and Kirby from Nationals. Kirby and Brick are owned by Roy and Marty Sanford.

No comments: