Monday, August 18, 2008

Wrapping It Up

I imagine you are wondering what do Lyric's pups have to do with Marley's countdown to becoming a mom.

Helping Karen withLyric's litter, and Lena's two before that, has taught me alot about helping a mom in whelp. Actually, it's more about being there to help get the pup out of the sac and disconnected from the placenta more than anything else. A healthy mom will take care of the rest. Lena seemed to be an easy-going mom. She didn't seem to mind us handling the pups from the very beginning. Lyric was more cautious. She would try to grasp the pup out of our hands as if to say, "that's enough, now let me have it!" Lyric's mastitis also gave us plenty of hands-on training with the pups. I now know how to bottle feed a pup and all about the late hours and no sleep. Having the pups here at the house has taught Marley and Hannah that while they might not be able to play right away, give it time and that's all they'll want to do. You'll never escape unless they are in their play pen!

I have enjoyed watching the girls interact with the pups. They have been so good to them. I am full of hope that Marley will bond quickly to her own pups when the time comes and that Hannah will be the best Aunt any pup could ask for.

No comments: